Lopez is one of the founders of University of iloilo and the FEATI University in Manila. The Lopez family also owned the Iloilo-Negros Air Express Company , Iloilo Times (El Tiempo), Manila Chronicle, ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation and other subsidiaries of the Lopez Group of Companies.
After retiring as a player in 1927 at the age of 31, he became a doctor. On July 5 1927, Team Barcelona playeagainst Team Spain in a testimonial match in his honour and he later served as a club director between 1931 and 1934. In 1951, Alcantara became a selector and managed Team Spain for three games.
In 1920 he became Chancellor of Jaro, then vicar-general, later appointed the first Filipino Archbishop of Cebu. He was installed Archbishop of Manila on October 14, 1949 as the first Filipino in the post. He served until his death in 1952.
Among his tangible achievements were the establishment of parochial schools and of the San Carlos Seminary in its present 5-hectare site in Guadelope, Makati, as the first one in Manila was destroyed by an earthquake in 1889. His vision to build a Catholic center was realized by his successor with the building of the Pope Pius XII Catholic Center on U.N. Avenue in Manila.
He served as a legal adviser to the Revolutionary government of Iloilo, Capiz and Antique, and was chosen to negotiate with the American forces in Panay during the final days of the Philippine Revolution. During the American rule, he was appointed as assistant attorney in the Bureau of Justice and he was promoted to auxiliary judge in 1905. He was attorney-general from 1914 to 1917, when he was appointed to the Supreme Court as an Associate Justice. Upon the death of Manuel Araullo in 1924, he succeeded as Chief Justice, but he had to wait until 1925 to be formally appointed.
Florenz D. Regalado (born October 13, 1928, Concepcion, Iloilo) was the 14th Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines from July 29, 1988 to October 13, 1998. He graduated magna cum laude in 1954 from the San Beda College of Law, and received his Master of Laws degree from the University of Michigan in 1963.
He remains to be the record holder of the highest average in the Philippine Bar Examination history when he obtained a score of 96.7% in 1954, a score that remains unbeaten until today. He was a member of the Philippine Constitutional Commission of 1986 which drafted the present Constitution of the Philippines. Before becoming Associate Justice, he served as the Dean of San Beda College of Law.
Miriam graduated valedictorian of the La Paz Elementary School, and valedictorian of the Iloilo Provincial National High School, also earning a medal for all-around excellence. In high school, she proved to be a child prodigy. As a freshman, she won as champion of a Spelling Bee which included seniors. Also still a freshman, she topped written examinations and was appointed by a faculty panel as editor-in-chief of the high school paper, a post which she held for four years. She was high school swimming champion for the entire province during competitions sponsored by the Red Cross. She topped the National College Entrance Examinations for the Western Visayas region.
In 2007, APPI prepared the Metro Iloilo-Guimaras Integrated Tourism Strategy and Action Plan which was funded by AusAid’s Philippines-Australia Local Governance Development Program. Ms. Lim was the Team Leader of that project which was completed in 2008.
Ms. Lim served as Secretary of Tourism under Pres. Corazon Aquino and Pres. Fidel V. Ramos. Before her appointment as Secretary, she was Undersecretary for Policy, Planning and Development. She holds a Master’s degree in English Literature from the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Dr. Biyo is the current director of Philippine Science High School in Western Visayas. She was one of the 1998 Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) Awardees for Secondary Education.
He traveled the hinterlands of his home province, Panay, with two colleagues collecting folk songs, stories, and riddles. It was during one of those trips to the upland barrios of Lambunao, Maasin, Janiuay, and Calinog in Iloilo that his attention was called to a long and popular tale called HINILAWOD. Thus led to its discovery and considered as the longest in the world. It took three weeks to complete the recording of the 30 hour epic poem. A concise version of the story of Hinilawod can be found in the book, Philippine Mythology, authored by the Filipino anthropologist, Dr. F. Landa Jocano.
FIRST FILIPINO AWARDED WITH A UNITED STATES
FIRST SIGNATOREE IN THE BATAAN DEATH MARCH SURVIVOR REGISTRY
Calugas was born in Barrio Tagsing, Leon, Iloilo, Philippines, December 29, 1907. In 1930, he enlisted in the United States Army and had received his basic training at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Upon completion, he received additional training as an artilleryman and then assigned to the 24th Artillery Regiment of the Philippine Scouts at Fort Stotsenburg, Pampanga and the 88th Field Artillery Regiment of the Philippine Scouts as his second unit. He was a Sergeant with Battery B when the United States and the Philippine Commonwealth, declared war with Japan in 1941.
He was captured along with other members of his unit and forced to march to a distant enemy prison camp, where he was held as a prisoner of war. When he was released in 1943, he was secretly assigned to a guerilla unit the Philippines where he fought for the liberation of the Philippines from the Japanese. After retiring from the Army he settled in Tacoma, Washington and became a United States citizen.
FIRST WOMAN MILITARY PILOT OF THE PHILIPPINES
Alone in the cockpit of the Army Cessna 172 Skyhawk trainer plane No 862 for her first solo flight, she was able to take off and land the aircraft at Fort Magsaysay Army Aerodrome in Nueva Ecija, becoming a full-fledged pilot on Nov. 3, 1986. She was born on March 21, 1957 in San Dionisio, Iloilo.
In short, Dinagyang Festival is proud to be the first organized festival in the Philippines and the first festival to hold a competition among its contingents. , Dinagyang has grown to become as the country's premiere festival. The devotion to Sto. Nino in Iloilo started in 1967, but the activities as a festival were held beginning 1968 hence the festival's 43 years of existence. The actual ati-ati dance competition started in 1970 with Madjapahit Tribe of Compania Maritima as the first winner.
(Description by Mark Timothy J. Libunao; the Dinagyang pipe description was based from data gathered from within the Dinagyang tribes circle. The author is open to any corrections regarding the description.)
lloilo Dinagyang Foundation Inc. (IDFI), executive director Ben Jimena related that the mascot now is the once caricature used by the marketing group headed by Francis de la Cruz as a promotional material. This happened in 2002, the first time the festival was handled by the foundation.
Chris Bayani, an artist from Manila , drawing inspiration from his adopted daughter, delicately prepared the sketch of the icon that was later made as the official logo of the festival.
THE FIRST FILIPINO MASCOT REPRESENTING A FESTIVAL.
The Capitol Building in Iloilo referred to as the "Casa Real" or Royal House during the Spanish times was built in 1840. The "Casa Real" was the residence of the alcalde-mayor or governor, then the highest Spanish Official in Iloilo. John Foreman, in his book, The Philippine Islands, made mention of this government house. He wrote: (At the extreme end of the Calle Real (now Iznart Street) is a government house, built of wood and stone, and then in a very bad condition but they style is good, has quite the appearance of an official residence. Before it, is a semi-circular garden, and in front of this there is a round fenced-in plot in the middle of which stands a flagpole.
The Flagpole gave way to the Arroyo Fountain in 1927. The "Casa Real" on the other hand was remolded in 1960 after Jose Zulueta became the governor of the province. Though some stone structures might have been preserved, the colonnades at the front of the entire structures were demolished. On November 4, 1998, a fire of unknown source baffled the capitol damaging almost more than the half of the whole building leaving only the main building. This resulted to the construction of a six-storey Provincial Capitol of the future initiated by Gov. Arthur D. Defensor and brought to finish by Gov. Niel D. Tupas, Sr., it now stands behind the original structure.
Currently, there are 401 branches nationwide and with over 10,000 employees system wide. MANG INASAL is doing its share in alleviating the unemployment burden of the country. The presence of every MANG INASAL in a certain area provides not only employment but also opportunities to community members including suppliers of kalamansi, charcoal, banana leaves, vegetables, bamboo sticks, and other ingredients. It also indirectly gives income-generating activities to many.